We are an independent organisation, accountable to the UK Parliament. Our reports help Parliament monitor and improve the protection of the public. The Health and Social Care Committee uses our performance reviews to question the regulators we oversee about their work. We also encourage organisations to improve the way they register and regulate health and care practitioners in the UK.
Our values are at the heart of everything we do
Our organisational values are: integrity, transparency, respect, fairness and teamwork. We strive to ensure that our values are at the core of our work.
The Kennedy Report into failings in children’s heart surgery at Bristol Royal Infirmary in July 2001 led to significant reforms. This included the creation of the Council for the Regulation of Health Professionals (our predecessor body), to coordinate the regulators and ensure greater focus on the public interest.
The Health and Social Care Act 2012 brought about widespread structural change in the healthcare sector as well as a number of significant changes to the CHRE, by:
- changing our name to the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care (PSA)
- giving us financial independence from government, in the form of a statutory levy on the regulators we oversee, and
- granting powers in relation to regulator council appointments and Accredited Registers.
Read our Road to Reform page to learn more about how and why we got to where we are now.
Our strategic objectives
Our strategic objectives are:
- To protect the public by delivering highly effective oversight of regulation and registration
- To maintain strong relationships with statutory regulators, organisations with accredited registers and other stakeholders to improve the impact of our work
- To have a skilled, diverse and motivated team who are proud to work at the Authority and are committed to achieving our objectives
- To seek continuous improvement in the way we run the Authority and our value for money for registrants, patients and the public
We explain each of our strategic objectives in more depth here.
How to get in touch with us
Find out more about how to get in touch with us here.
You can also get in touch with staff members directly by email.