The Professional Standards Authority welcomes the publication of the Ockenden Report covering the emerging findings and recommendations from the independent review of maternity services at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust.
The report makes for sombre reading about the stories of women and their families who in many cases suffered life-changing experiences. Our thoughts are with all of those affected.
It is notable that many of the findings sadly echo those of other recent reviews including the difficulties that patients face in making their voices heard when things have gone wrong. It is crucial that the system is able to learn and ensure that changes are made to avoid a repeat of these tragic events.
We will be examining the report further and working with the professional regulators we oversee as they consider any actions to address the findings of relevance to professional regulation.
Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
Notes to the Editor
- The Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care oversees 10 statutory bodies that regulate health and social care professionals in the UK.
- We assess their performance and report to Parliament. We also conduct audits and investigations and can appeal fitness to practise cases to the courts if we consider that sanctions are insufficient to protect the public and it is in the public interest.
- We also set standards for organisations holding voluntary registers for health and social care occupations and accredit those that meet them.
- We share good practice and knowledge, conduct research and introduce new ideas to our sector. We monitor policy developments in the UK and internationally and provide advice on issues relating to professional standards in health and social care.
- We do this to promote the health, safety and wellbeing of users of health and social care services and the public. We are an independent body, accountable to the UK Parliament.
- Our values are – integrity, transparency, respect, fairness and teamwork – and we strive to ensure that they are at the core of our work.
- More information about our work and the approach we take is available at www.professionalstandards.org.uk