The Professional Standards Authority has published its annual performance review of the General Pharmaceutical Council. The GPhC’s register covers almost 77,300 pharmacy professionals (pharmacists and pharmacy technicians) and just over 14,400 pharmacy premises in Great Britain.
We assessed the GPhC’s performance against our Standards of Good Regulation and are pleased to report that the GPhC has met all of the Standards for the second year in a row, maintaining the improvement that we noted in last year’s review.
More information about how we reached our decision is set out in our Performance Review GPhC - 2016/17 or read a summary in our snapshot.
Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
Christine Braithwaite, Director of Standards and Policy
Reception: 020 7389 8030
Notes to the Editor
- The Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care oversees nine statutory bodies that regulate health and social care professionals in the UK.
- We assess their performance and report to Parliament. We also conduct audits and investigations and can appeal fitness to practise cases to the courts if we consider that sanctions are insufficient to protect the public and it is in the public interest.
- We also set standards for organisations holding voluntary registers for health and social care occupations and accredit those that meet them.
- We share good practice and knowledge, conduct research and introduce new ideas to our sector. We monitor policy developments in the UK and internationally and provide advice on issues relating to professional standards in health and social care.
- We do this to promote the health, safety and wellbeing of users of health and social care services and the public. We are an independent body, accountable to the UK Parliament.
- Our values are at the heart of who we are and what we do. We are committed to being impartial, fair, accessible and consistent in the application of our values.
- The General Pharmaceutical Council regulates pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy premises in Great Britain. As at 31 March 2017, there were 77,285 pharmacy professionals (53,967 pharmacists, 23,318 pharmacy technicians) and 14,403 pharmacy premises on its register. Its annual registration fees are: £250 (pharmacists); £118 (pharmacy technicians); and £241 (pharmacies).
- More information about our work and the approach we take is available at www.professionalstandards.org.uk