Professional Standards Authority appeals tribunal’s decision to suspend Dr Steven Burn
The Professional Standards Authority has decided to appeal the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service’s decision to suspend Dr Steven Burn for possession of indecent images of children. The panel found Dr Burn’s fitness to practise was impaired and suspended him from practice for 12 months. The GMC expressed concern about this case to the Authority.
Harry Cayton, Chief Executive of the Authority said, ‘The Authority considers that a year’s suspension fails to mark the seriousness of the offence of possession of child pornography, undermines public confidence in the medical profession and fails to protect the public. The Authority will appeal to the High Court against the decision of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service not to strike off this doctor.’
Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
020 7389 8039
Reception: 020 7389 8030
Notes to the Editor
1. The Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care oversees nine statutory bodies that regulate health and social care professionals in the UK.
2. We assess their performance and report to Parliament. We also conduct audits and investigations and can appeal fitness to practise cases to the courts if we consider that sanctions are unduly lenient and it is in the public interest.
3. We also set standards for organisations holding voluntary registers for health and social care occupations and accredit those that meet them.
4. We share good practice and knowledge, conduct research and introduce new ideas to our sector. We monitor policy developments in the UK and internationally and provide advice on issues relating to professional standards in health and social care.
5. We do this to promote the health, safety and well-being of users of health and social care services and the public. We are an independent body, accountable to the UK Parliament.
6. Our values are at the heart of who we are and what we do. We are committed to being impartial, fair, accessible and consistent in the application of our values.
7. More information about our work and the approach we take is available at www.professionalstandards.org.uk